"Has anyone left shopify to build their own site? On wordpress? I feel like there are so many things that I want on my site but shopify is so limiting. Or maybe my web designer just stinks 🙁"
I agree with the other respondents - you should fire your shopify developer. Shopify offers a programming language called Liquid which allows you to build custom "themes" from scratch - basically anything is possible from a UX perspective.
But that's not where shopify shines. Shopify is the best general purpose e-commerce management platform for a few reasons:
1. Out of the box you get great easy to use themes and structure which allows you to build good enough ecomm shop quickly, and customise it with Liquid
2. Shopify has really great integrated marketing features
- Event tracking which allow you to build very clean target audiences for remarking (retargeting)
- Product feeds, which allow you to use images of the products users browsed or added to cart when retargeting users
- Re-engagement tools based on product feeds, which allow you to build cart-abandonment emails customized with the products the customers put in their carts
- Built in reporting which allows you to track a customer from ad click to purchase
3. Shopify has a very strong and growing basic feature set for e-commerce that allow you to set up most basic things your shop will need (from in-store POS to recurring payments and subscriptions, to shipping label management to coupon-code generation), and a strong ecosystem which helps them cover most other needs even the biggest e-comm sellers will ever have.